Tuesday, April 7, 2009

voice, instrument, image. story.

So on Monday when we were talking about the combination of poetry/prose and music, the first two recordings we listened to of Jack Kerouac seemed so familiar to me, but I couldn't put my finger on it until midway through Amerian Haiku. I've experienced something like this before.




Jack Kerouac - October on the Railroad Earth


Jack Kerouac - American Haiku


What is it? Well, it's the darndest thing and kind of freaky. Reading Rainbow.
In the program Reading Rainbow, there was a segment in which a childrens book was narrated in its entirety, usually with some kind of music in the background. I seem to remember (but have no proof, I can't find it anywhere) a story being read that had to do with a big city and it had a jazz instrument playing along with the narration. It's killing me that I can't remember specifically what book it was and can't find it, but it's that specific episode that I think was sitting in my brain still when I heard American Haiku.
As a child, I remember watching these narrated stories, and I think they're pretty incredible. There would be clips of the illustration flashing on the screen while the narrator read and the music played...telling a story even to those children who didn't understand the words. This is the way something like American Haiku can be listened to. The narrator's voice dances with, around, and on top of the music, beautifully illustrating the essence of the story.


There really aren't many clips of the show online, so this is the closest thing I could find. It's really not even close to the one I'm thinking of.
(Let it load & skip to 3:00 for the story):


And this is not the same thing, but it's exciting to see that childrens programming is still valuing things like this (This is from a new childrens program called Between the Lions):


Anyway, I was hoping to be able to find it but I've had no luck. I hope I am communicating clearly what I'm remembering.

No comments: